Why have an NIPT Harmony Test? What will I find out?
The Harmony Test (NIPT) is a non-invasive blood test that screens for specific chromosomal conditions in pregnancy. The test can be performed from when you are 10 weeks pregnant.
The NIPT test screens for the following conditions:
- Down's syndrome (T21)
- Edward's syndrome (T18)
- Patau's syndrome (T13)
The NIPT test for Down's syndrome is very reliable. The detection rate is greater than 99% and the test has a less than 1 in 1000 false positive rate.
If you wish, the test can look for the below issues without any further cost:
- Monosomy X (Turner's syndrome). This issue occurs when a female foetus is missing an X chromosome which can result in the baby having heart, endocrine and learning problems.
- Sex chromosome aneuploidy. This issue occurs when there are differences in the number of X and Y chromosomes that the foetus has. This can lead to certain learning and behavioural challenges in addition to other health issues.
For a small fee your sonographer can complete an additional screening for DiGeorge syndrome (22q11.2 deletion syndrome). This is a condition caused by a small missing piece of chromosome 22 which can result in heart, kidney, learning and growth problems.
This test is suitable for pregnant women aged 16 years and above.
This test is suitable for a single and a twin pregnancy.
Your results will take an average of seven days to arrive at our clinic. As soon as we receive your Harmony TDL laboratory results we will be in contact and give you a copy to keep in your maternity notes.
Should any results from your test be abnormal, one of our doctors will call you to explain the results and support you with your next steps.
- We expect approximately 3% of NIPT tests to fail in processing due to the low levels of foetal DNA collected. If this is the case, we will ask for a second sample at no extra charge. In this case a second blood test will be required.
- The NIPT test is not suitable in cases where there is evidence of a demised or vanished additional foetus.
- The Harmony test is a screening test and not a diagnostic test. It provides a probability that the pregnancy has one of the conditions tested for. A high probability result should be confirmed by invasive testing. We will help you with the pathway going forward if you receive a high chance result.
If you are less than 24 weeks pregnant at the time of your appointment, please attend with a full bladder.
Choose your package
Basic Package: 4 printed images of your baby
Upgrade Package: 4 printed images of your baby plus USB stick with all electronic images of your baby (+£20.00)